Tuesday 10 August 2010

Ramadan :The Month of Spiritual Enlightenment

Its that time of the year, for a billion or so Muslims around the world (including me :) fast for an entire month to show Our Patience, Dedication and Will-power to obey Allah by abstaining from eating, drinking and other bad habits ( such as Smoking !! ) from dawn to sunset (roughly 12-14 hours ) . The month starts when the new moon is born ( A Crescent like the one below ) after the Month of Shaaban.

When I used to be in the 6th Grade, I still remember how my colleagues, back at the time, were stunned that I was fasting (to most of them, they didn't know why I did it ), especially because it was in the middle of October (October here, is very hot :S). I explained to them that I was fasting to show my obedience and my devotion to Allah ( some thought i was doing it to please my parents), From that day on, people respected me ( a little bit :)

But the main significance of the Month of Ramadan is that during this Holy Month is that the Very First Verses of the Holy Qur'an were revealed to the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) from Allah VIA the Archangel Gabriel (Jibra'eel). The night on which first revelations is called Laylat Al Qadr ( The Night of  Destiny ). Ramadan is also a time for families to come together, discuss their lives and improve family  relations, it is also a time to ask Allah for forgiveness of the person's sins, Most Muslims read the ENTIRE Qur'an during this Holy Month.

Muslims break the fast at Sundown by having a meal ( Iftar) which traditionally consists of Dates, Yogurt, A main dish and Water ( or juice) and sometimes sweets, They can also have a recommended pre-dawn meal to help them.
 Now Please Excuse me, Ramadan starts on the Tomorrow (11th August) and I've got to be ready :)

Best Wishes this month:
Ramadan Kareem :)

Why More Maps Should Be Upside Down

If you've utilised a map at any point in your life, whether it's Google Maps to find out which right turn you just missed on the hig...